A bicyclist from Florida riding on Highway 17 has been killed after being struck by a vehicle, Georgetown County Coroner Kenny Johnson has confirmed.
The S.C. Highway Patrol says the pedestrian was hit not far Waccamaw bridges on Highway 17 at the Georgetown city limits.
The accident happened at about 6:55 a.m., authorities said.
Johnson says the victim is 43-year-old William Carlo Dominguez of Leesburg, Florida. He died of head injuries.
A Highway Patrol spokesman says Dominguez and the driver of a Ford pickup were both northbound when they collided.
The driver of the pickup, whose name was not released, was uninjured and the cause of the crash is still being investigated.
The northbound lanes were closed while the scene was cleared.
Notice about comments:
- Most Viewed
- Child drowns in Andrews
- Response to Scoville
- POLICE BLOTTER: Suspicious man in Maryville
- Woman escapes severe injury after grill explosion
- Tropical Storm Andrea update
- Response to Swatzel ad
- Police Blotter: Inmate attacked at GCDC
- $250,000 lottery ticket sold at Murrells Inlet grocery store
- Obituaries, June 12, 2013
- Waccamaw, Georgetown High Schools hold graduations